2015 materials may not be used for AHA certification after June 1, 2021.
Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens Student Workbook is an easily understood, full-color workbook. It has the required student text for the Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens classroom-based course. In the workbook is a perforated course participation card. Soft cover, 36 pages, 8 1/2" x 11".
The Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens course will teach employees how to protect themselves and others when faced with blood or blood-containing materials situations. The course is designed for workers who have a reasonable chance of contact with bloodborne pathogens, including correctional officers, childcare workers, security guards, maintenance workers, school personnel, hotel housekeepers, health and fitness club staff, and tattoo artists. The Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course uses the PACT™ acronym (Protect, Act, Clean, Tell) and the slogan, "Make a PACT, Know How to Act," to help students learn and easily recall their bloodborne pathogens training class. It also helps employers meet OSHA requirements for bloodborne pathogens training when paired with site-specific instruction.
After the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- explain the importance of taking the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- define bloodborne pathogens
- describe the four main steps for staying safe when facing an occupational exposure
- discuss how universal precautions, personal protective equipment, and handwashing can protect them from infection
- recognize warning signs and labels for biohazards
- recall how to safely remove gloves
- discuss how to dispose of sharps and other blood-containing items
- identify the types of spills and methods to clean them
- discuss their exposure control plan.
No skills test or skills demonstration is required at the conclusion of this course. However, AHA provides an optional written exam which can be used if the employer requires an exam for successful completion.
Key Features and Benefits
- contains all the information students will need to successfully complete the Heartsaver Bloodborne Pathogens course
- is for use in a classroom setting with a facilitator or an AHA Instructor
- is useful as an ongoing reference after the course has been completed
- features full-color illustrations throughout
- includes a perforated course participation card on the back cover
- is designed for use by a single student.